Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Callipygian

A strange comment-whore thread:

I have long been a word-lover... there are strange words in the English language convey meaning one normally uses three or four less elegant words to convey. For example, the word in my post title refers to posessing a well-formed buttocks, a nice ass if you will. My junior high kids used to love that one.

Anyone else have a favorite word? Like mine, it need not be a word you can work into casual conversation, unless you teach junior high.

Let the commenting commence!

7 comments:

  1. I have always enjoyed "prestidigitation" (sleight of hand) and "Brobdingnagian" (huge, absolutely ginormous). And of course, ginormous (made up word).

    Callipygian is one I'll have to throw around some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like "douchebaggery." i think i might have made it up, but that's ok, i still like it. i dont like when people commit it however.

    boo douchebags, boo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginormous is one of my favorites, too. I've been very pleased to hear that it's being used more and more.

    My favorite is 'plethora'. It's simple enough to throw into everyday conversations, and it rolls off the tougne nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "assholic" though it's not a real word.

    "steatopygous" though I've never had occasion to say it out loud.

    "unconscionable" because it describes so many, many things.

    When I was in junior high school one of my favorite words was "defenestrate."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Defenestrate is always a crowd pleaser.

    Borborygmus was another junior high fave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. although it's used and abused all of the time, I still love "whore."

    I reserve it for great circumstances, like when my 100lb friend says she feels fat...

    "whore."

    Simple and to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not English, but I always liked "zeitgeist". "autodefenestration" is another good one.

    Check the Washington Post's annual Mensa invitational for hilarious made up words, such as "'sarchasm': the huge gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person that doesn't get it."

    ReplyDelete