Thursday, February 26, 2009

Belated WTF Wednesday

Friend who gives private piano lessons: You should check out [local religious-affiated school I had not heard of]. It is amazing -- every kid I've ever taught from there has just been well-behaved, focused, and nice. Even the ones who weren't particularly gifted with the piano enjoyed putting in the time to play a few things quite well.

Professor: You should check out [local religious-affiated school I had only just heard of the day before]. My kids love it. The kindergarten teacher is out of this world. [Lots and lots of specific praise for the teachers and what they do]. Positive environment, great community.

So, I check.

Annual tuiton?

Seventeen
Thousand
Dollars

I understand that private school is going to cost money.

But WTF?!?!?!

This post brought to you courtesy of WTF Wednesday.

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, sounds about right. My FH works with rich kids in LA and all of their parents are spending $15-25K on private schools... PER CHILD. Ridiculous. After working in public schools, I absolutely want to send my kids to private ones... but I don't know how we'd ever manage it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cheap for around here... We went to look at Cambridge Montessori, which costs $27K (with extended day) and that DOESN'T include anything over the summer AND the school is constantly having these long vacations, so it's closed about 2-3 weeks out of every 8. Now THERE's a WTF for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY SH*T!!!!!!!! OMG? Are you serious? Who the heck can afford that for 12 years and then pay for college? WTF is right! Poor Jacob, he will be doomed to a life of public schools.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its actually cheap for around here too -- there are a number of Montessoris and "Day Schools" (when it says day school it means $$$$$) that cost more.

    It just didn't occur to me that this school would be one of them I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd wager that since you used to be a teacher (and are about to be a lawyer) your kids will end up with plenty of smarts and know-how.

    Man. Jesus. My COLLEGE tuition didn't cost THAT much per year.

    Also, hi. Long time stalker, first time writer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a total wtf.

    I'm a firm believer in "kids will turn out well if they're bright, successful kids regardless of where they go to school." I
    refuse to cough up that kind of cash. Especially for kids who are under like 15.

    Thanks for participating in the WTFery. Hawt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy hell. I know that isn't even THAT bad but it's still completely ridiculous. I went to a church preschool that probably cost $100 a week (if that, actually) and I think I learned everything a 3-5 year old should learn. I think if you have smart, engaged parents you can forgo the billion dollar preschools. Although that's coming from someone who pays $13,000 a year in Texas for someone to watch her kid spin around in circles and attempt to dance on tables, so who am I to speak of fiscally responsible childcare?

    ReplyDelete