Friday, February 17, 2012

Name dilemmas

I have spent far, far too much time reading baby name websites and blogs, trying to find a name for my daughter that I love as much as I love Clownfish's and Angelfish's names.  The two backup names for AF are still in the mix, with one being a strong contender.  But I still feel as if Boo's name is "out there" and I just haven't found it yet.  I never really struggled like this with my other two kids, so its weird to see how much mental energy this has consumed of late.

I have lots of "rules."  I don't want a name that's too popular/currently trendy. I love names of Irish origin, but lots of the great ones have been taken by close family.  Bullshark kills many of the remaining great Irish girl names with his insistence that a name should be spelled roughly like it sounds.  (I pick on him, but really, its not an unreasonable requirement.  Would the average American teacher know that Aoife is really just Eva?  Or that Ciara is Kira, not see-AR-ah or sierra or key-air-ah?)    

For example, we liked Caitlin. Ranked # 340 in 2010.  But with at least 24 recognized variations on the spelling of that name -- see wikipedia page -- and with some of those variations cracking the top 100 in popularity ... the cumulative effect makes it a non-starter.

Its surprising to me that I've become "that mom."

3 comments:

  1. You'll find it. My *secret* baby name keeps growing in popularity each year, but in a different spelling. Hopefully, if I ever get to that point, I'll still like it, and it won't be the name of every other girl that year.

    So, baby girl #2, hmm. I love the catholic/irish names that start with Mary. Not sure if you're Catholic, but once you let go of the whole Virgin thing, the tradition aspect is kinda cool. Or maybe she could be Katie Scarlett...as in O'Hara. You're probably rolling your eyes so I'll stop now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lobbied hard for Aoife, but was shot down. I *love* that name! Also, Moira. But M can't say Moira.

    We picked Pea's name because it was unusual and gave her a middle name that could be used as it was or turned into five different nicknames if she hated it.

    Of course, since then, I've known of at least three or four others, but...well...who cares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved the name Siobhan, but I decided a long time ago I could not inflict a child with a name that so many people would mispronounce (or about which people would say things like, "What the hell kind of name is that??").

    ReplyDelete