Friday, December 06, 2013

Bits

Not once, but TWICE, had to reschedule a routine blood draw (fasting) because I stumbled into the kitchen & made myself coffee (milk/sugar). Finally managed to get the tests done Monday.

* * *

Holiday cookie exchange at work. Anyone have a favorite go-to awesome cookie recipe? I don't want to just make plain old chocolate chip. People are making everything from gingerbread men to baklava.

* * *

My mom gave my son money on Thanksgiving-- for being awesome, I guess. As a result, we have a leopard gecko now. Geckos are cool. They eat crickets. Crickets suck. I had some awesome names in mind (Malcom [nn Mal, or Cap'n], Alton [nn AB], Dr. Horrible, Dalek, Faye or Amelia or River (!) [could be a girl], Buster, and Ford Prefect) BUT I kept my mouth shut. I really wanted him to name his first pet on his own. Spotty was on the short list. Bullshark very gently suggested Hobbes in passing. It stuck. Relieved. Hobbes is a great name. Spotty is just awful.

* * *

Every week we get an e-mail from the nun who is the principal of my son's Catholic elementary school. It always begins with a letter with her thoughts on kids, philosophy, education, thankfulness ... its like a mini-homily by e-mail.  This week she managed to quote both Lewis C.K. (a segment from Conan O'Brien's show entitled Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy) and Pope Francis' Evangelii Gaudium. Gotta give her some props for that.

* * *

It's midnight. Bullshark is gone for the next three days. I still have dishes to do. I am tired and wired and angry and sad and I really just want it to be Saturday already.

3 comments:

  1. LOL at your lizard name list. You're such a geek. (I say that with love, of course!)

    Sending you more hugs... If you ever need to vent, I think you have my number.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geek and proud!

    (And thanks, I do)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's my favorite holiday cookie recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/316495/rosemary-butter-cookies?comments_page=1

    I cook 11-13 minutes, and they come out perfect.

    ReplyDelete